By statute, architects registered in another state can be registered in Alabama through transmittal of an NCARB council record (blue cover). The Alabama application and NCARB transmittal forms are available directly from NCARB by following these instructions:

  1. Please fill out the Uniform Application and mail it to us with a certified check made payable to the Alabama Board of Architects in the amount of $150.00. Payment may be made via credit card by calling the Board Staff at (334) 242-4179. The application fee shall be waived for a spouse of an active duty reserve, or transitioning member of the United States Armed Forces, including the National Guard, or a surviving spouse of a service member who, at the time of his or her death, was serving on active duty, who is relocated to and stationed in the State of Alabama under official military orders. For the purposes of this section, a transitioning service member is a member of the United States Armed Forces, including the National Guard, on active duty status or on separation leave who is within 24 months of retirement.
  2. Go to the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards’ (NCARB) website at
  3. Click on the MY NCARB Log In button.
  4. Enter that person’s ‘Council Record Number and Password’.
  5. Click on ‘Request Transmittal’.
  6. Click on ‘Alabama’.
  7. Follow the Registration Requirements for Alabama.
  8. The Alabama Board requires that you submit a Citizenship Affidavit and acceptable documentation, such as current driver’s license or passport, with your Uniform Application for Architect Registration. The application link is on the Transmittal Instructions for Alabama page on NCARB’s website.
  9. Once the State application and NCARB record are received, the application and record will be reviewed by the Director.  Assuming all documentation is in order, applications are processed weekly.